Students need to complete the following before their financial aid can be processed or disbursed.
- The current year's FAFSA form. This should be completed as soon as possible after January 1, since some institutional funds are limited. The federal school code for The University of Iowa is 001892. After you are admitted and as files become complete, financial aid applications will be reviewed and award letters will be mailed to you. You must reapply every year.
- The current year's UI Institutional Verification Form (IVF) Two weeks after the University of Iowa has received the information from your FAFSA, admitted students will receive instructions regarding the IVF. You may be instructed to download and print the IVF from ISIS. (Log in, go to the heading Student Records, click on Financial Aid, and then click on Verification Form). If you are unable to print the IVF, you may request a form by phone at 319-335-1450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The past year's Federal Tax Return Submit a signed and dated copy of your most recent Federal Income Tax Return (including all schedules) or IRS Form 1722 to the UI Student Financial Aid Office at:
UI Student Financial Aid Office
208 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242
If you will not file a federal income tax return, you will be asked to verify this on the University of Iowa Verification Form.
- Direct Deposit Form (available through ISIS under Student Records, Finances & Billing, Bank Information - Financial Aid Refund).
- Master Promissory Note For first time borrowers only. See https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action.
- Entrance Counseling If you are a first-time borrower of the Federal Direct Stafford/Ford Loan, you must complete the Entrance Counseling requirement.
- Direct PLUS Loan To borrow under the Direct PLUS Loan program, you must complete a new PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) online using your federal PIN number. For MPN type, please select: Graduate PLUS - Federal Direct Loans available to any eligible graduate/professional student.
- Updating Key Information It is important to keep your address and graduation date current with the University's Registrar Office.
- U-Bill Credit Your admission deposit will be credited on your August U-bill. It will be done automatically.
All law students are considered self-supporting for federal financial aid purposes. Parental income/asset information is not considered in determining your financial need.
Questions and inquiries?
Please include your name, phone number, and student ID number with any financial aid correspondence:
Office of Financial Aid
University of Iowa College of Law
276 Boyd Law Building
Iowa City, IA 52242-1113
319-335-9142 / 800-553-IOWA, Ext 9142