Q: What is the criterion that is used to award scholarships?
A: Scholarship awards are based on merit, which is measured . . .
[ Read More ]
A Message from Assistant Dean of Admissions, Collins B. Byrd Jr.
At the University of Iowa College of Law, we are committed to providing students with a superior, public legal education, and have successfully built a strong tradition of preparing outstanding lawyers and leaders.
Here are the top five reasons you should choose Iowa Law:
- World-class education – Receive access to a global curriculum from our distinguished faculty; take advantage of our unique live-client legal clinics, a wide range of externship placements, a strong writing tradition, and small class sizes; and find an extracurricular home among more than 25 law student groups.
- Alumni network – Gain a strong network of alumni support. Alumni participate in on-campus interviews, programs and symposia, and enjoy reunions and pregame tailgates. They welcome contact from students, and other alumni, who are seeking information about their practice, or what it’s like to live and work in their area.
- Opportunities for collaboration – Members of the law faculty have an open-door policy for students and an active interest in interacting on a professional and personal level. With an 11:1 student-faculty ratio, students can work individually with professors to develop and fine-tune their skills.
- Student-focused approach – Enjoy the advantage of an Iowa law education. You will join a small entering class, and each semester of your first year you will have two “small sections” among your four classes. Upon graduation you’ll owe $20,000 less than the national average1 due to sizable scholarships and an ample number of research assistantships for second- and third-year students. This makes your education a tremendous value. As a research assistant you’ll receive resident tuition, a stipend, health insurance, and an invaluable educational experience.
- Community – Join the Iowa City community where you can take advantage of recreational activities at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, visit one of 41 parks, or spend time at scenic Coralville Reservoir for water sports, hiking, biking, and cross-country skiing. Iowa City hosts music and arts events throughout the year, including the Iowa City Jazz Festival, the Iowa Arts Festival, the Iowa City Book Festival, as well as performing arts events through Riverside Theatre, the Englert Theatre, and Hancher Auditorium.
By choosing Iowa Law, you will take the first step toward receiving an outstanding legal education. We will take the next step, by providing you with a rich educational experience and thoroughly preparing you for a life and career as a lawyer.
Collins B. Byrd Jr.
Assistant Dean of Admissions
1Rebecca Larsen, “Best Value Law Schools,” The National Jurist Volume 21, Number 3 (2011): 24-27.